Benefit reminders for end of school year
June 18, 2021
There has been nothing normal about the 2020-21 school year. COVID-19 has brought change and uncertainty to all of our lives.
As this school year comes to a close, we want to acknowledge and thank you for your dedication and perseverance through these challenging times.
With summer just around the corner, here are a few important reminders about your ETFO Employee Life and Health Trust (ELHT) benefits coverage:
- Update your preferred email address: Your board email address may be your default email address for OTIP notifications and information about your benefits plan. If you have not already done so, consider updating your preferred email address to your personal email so that you don’t miss out on important information over the summer.
- Make sure your family has health and/or dental coverage: You have 31 days from the date of a corresponding life event (e.g. marriage, divorce, day your child is born or adopted, date your spouse loses coverage, your FTE has increased, etc.) to add your spouse or child to your employee group benefits plan. Make sure your family is covered and avoid being a late entrant.
- Add Child Optional Life for your eligible child: You must do this within 31 days of your child(ren) being eligible (i.e. when you become eligible for coverage or the birth/adoption of your child). This benefit cannot be added after the 31 days, even with proof of good health (evidence of insurability).
- Update the status of your student: OTIP requires annual confirmation if an overage student covered under your plan will be enrolled in school full-time and requires coverage in the new school year. If this applies to you, you will get email reminders starting in June to complete this confirmation.
- Update your beneficiary designation: We encourage you to review your beneficiary designation information at least once a year, or whenever you have a major life change such as getting married, divorced, or having a child. You can review and/or complete your beneficiary designation online by following these steps: How do I designate a beneficiary(ies) for my group life coverage?
NOTE: Check your benefits booklet to confirm if your natural or adopted child, stepchild or foster child is eligible for coverage. You can also check your benefits booklet to confirm the maximum age of your student for coverage eligibility, as well as to see what products and/or services are covered by your benefits plan.
Is your employment status changing with the end of the school year?
If your employment status is changing soon, here are some important reminders about your benefits.
|Long Term Occasional (LTO)
This information applies to you if you have an eligible LTO teaching assignment that is ending AND you are enrolled with benefits coverage under your ETFO ELHT benefits plan.
|As your ELHT benefits end on the last day of your eligible LTO assignment, you will receive a communication from OTIP to notify you of the date your coverage has ended or will end.
You will have 90 calendar days from the date your coverage ends to access OTIP’s secure member site and submit any claims incurred up to and including your last day of coverage. Any eligible claims received after 90 days from the date your coverage ends will be declined.
This information applies to you if you are an eligible ETFO ELHT member and are retiring.
|Congratulations on your retirement!
You will receive a communication from OTIP with the following information:
- The date your coverage has ended or will end (11:59 p.m. on your last day as a permanent board employee).
- You will have 90 days from the date your coverage ends to access OTIP’s secure member site and submit any claims incurred up to and including your last day of coverage. Any eligible claims received after 90 calendar days from the date your coverage ends will be declined.
- You may be eligible to convert your group life insurance (if applicable) to an individual policy without having to provide evidence of good health or undergo a medical exam, provided you do so within 31 calendar days of your coverage ending. To learn more about converting any group life insurance you have to an individual policy, please carefully review the description for the Group Benefits Life Conversion Option form at otip.com/forms (found under Life Insurance forms).
NOTE: If you are retiring and require extended health and/or dental benefits, it’s important that you enroll in another extended health and/or dental plan within 31 days of your retirement date. Otherwise, you may need to provide evidence of insurability.
We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and are here to support you. Contact OTIP Benefits Services at 1-866-783-6847 if you have any questions about your benefits plan and coverage.
Wishing you a safe and happy summer!