Benefit reminders for end of school year
June 12, 2019
The school year is coming to a close and summer is just a couple of weeks away!
In preparation for the summer, here are some important reminders about your benefits coverage to keep in mind:
- Update your preferred email address: Did you know that OTIP receives your board email address from your employer? OTIP uses it as your default email address for important information about your benefits coverage and plan. If you have not already done so, consider updating your preferred email address to your personal email, so you won’t miss important information.
- Self-serve your benefits online: OTIP’s secure member site makes it easy for you to submit your claims online and access your benefits booklet at any time. Your benefits booklet has important information about what you are covered for, eligibility, and when your benefit year starts and ends.
- Update the status of your student: OTIP requires annual confirmation if an overage student covered under your plan continues to be enrolled in school and requires coverage in the new school year. If this applies to you, you will get email reminders starting in June to complete this confirmation.
|If your natural or adopted child, stepchild or foster child needs coverage, they must meet the following criteria:
- not employed on a full-time basis;
- not eligible for insurance as a member under this or any other group policy; and
- either under age 21 or under age 25 if a full-time student at an accredited school, college or university.
A stepchild must be living with you to be eligible.
Coverage for your overage student will end on their 25th birthday.
Is your employment status changing with the end of the school year?
If your employment status is changing soon, there are some important things to know about your benefits.
|Long Term Occasional (LTO)
This information applies to you if you have an eligible LTO teaching contract that is ending AND you are enrolled with benefits coverage under your Employee Life and Health Trust (ELHT).
|You will receive a communication from OTIP to notify you of the date your coverage has ended or will end.
Your coverage will end on the last day of your current contract or the last day of the school year, whichever comes first.
You will have 90 calendar days from the date your coverage ends to access your OTIP secure account and submit any claims incurred up to and including your last day of coverage. Any claims received more than 90 calendar days after your coverage ends will be declined.
You will receive an email from OTIP if you are eligible to enrol in other coverage over the summer months.
This information applies to you if you are retiring from an ELHT benefits plan.
|Congratulations on your retirement!
You will receive a communication from OTIP with the following information:
- The date your coverage has ended, or coverage will end at 11:59 p.m. on the day of your retirement.
- You will have 90 calendar days from your retirement date to access your OTIP secure account and submit any claims incurred up to and including your last day of coverage. Any claims received more than 90 calendar days after your coverage ends will be declined.
- You may be eligible to convert your group life insurance (if applicable) to an individual policy without having to provide evidence of good health or undergo a medical exam, provided you do so within 31 calendar days of your coverage ending. To learn more about converting any group life insurance you have to an individual policy, please carefully review the Description for the Group Benefits Life Conversion Option form at www.otip.com/forms (found under Life Insurance forms).
This information applies to you if you are a permanent employee and your board has provided notice that you are being laid off or declared redundant.We understand this is a very challenging time for teachers and education workers in Ontario. Our team will do our best to provide you with all the information you need.
|Your employer will notify OTIP of your change in employment status for the 2019-20 school year. Your benefits will be suspended effective the date of your layoff and you will receive a notice from OTIP indicating that action is required to continue your benefits.
Some options you may want to consider:
- If your partner/spouse is covered under another group benefits plan, you may be eligible to be added to their plan if you aren’t already.
- If you have been laid off on recall, you are eligible to keep some or all your benefits for a specific duration of time as outlined by the rules of your benefits plan. You will be responsible for paying 100% of the benefit costs if you wish to do so.
Question? We are here to help! You can call OTIP Benefits Services at 1-866-783-6847.
My spouse’s coverage has changed. How do I change my coverage?